We had a chance to visit Central Coast Floats for a new and relaxing experience.
Central Coast Floats is one of SLO County’s first float sensory deprivation experiences. They are located near the San Luis Obispo airport and in the same plaza as Wine Sneak. (Wine + Float Experience = a great idea)
The business is owned by siblings Kelsey & Matt Elston who opened their doors in June of this year. Both experienced the benefits of floating outside of SLOCAL and thought our local area could use this type of calming environment.
So what is a float experience?
It’s exactly how it sounds. At Central Coast Floats you enter a large tank filled with water. The water is only 10 inches deep and has roughly 1000 lbs of Epson salt dissolved in it so you can float effortlessly. The experience is incredibly relaxing! During your float session, your muscles can relax, your spine can decompress and elongate due to the high volume of salt. It’s like someone is massaging you but without them touching you.
Through the whole session, your face is out of the water and it’s safe to fall asleep because of the extreme buoyancy. They even provide a float pillow if needed. I personally found it more relaxing without it. Sessions last one hour and at the end you know it’s over because the tank plays a wake up song, almost like a calming alarm clock. You can choose to float in complete darkness for a full sensory deprivation experience or use the control panel to select some soft colored lighting. Music is also an option in your tank. After you can enjoy a shower with lavender-scented lotions and shampoo. Once you’re freshened up you can go to the lounge and grab a glass of tea to relax…or get an infrared sauna session!
What they provide:
- Wax ear plugs
- Private shower in each room
- Vaseline packets – to protect cuts and scrapes from the sting of saltwater
- Neck floatie – I used it at first because I wasn’t sure what to expect but removed it after so I could float freely.
- Freshwater in case you get saltwater in your eye – Yes, I am dumb and touched my eye. Thank goodness this was there.
- Shampoo, soap, conditioner, and body lotion – It’s lavender scented and so lovely!
- Qtips – to dry the outside of your ears
- Tea, water, and coffee
Mental Relaxation –
By floating you can remove most of the external stimuli you’re exposed to and your brain is able to function at a different level. You have the opportunity to go into a deep meditative state and improve your brain function.
Pain Relief –
Epson salt is a natural anti-inflammatory. The high amount of salt can help your muscles relax. Saltwater baths help speed up recovery. NFL and NBA teams are starting to incorporate float tanks on-site. Floating alleviates pressure on your joints which is perfect for chronic pain, back or neck issues.
- Do you float naked? – Yes…but for the sake of my posts…I am clothed for obvious reasons. They highly recommend floating without clothing. The goal of floating is to lose sensation and really let go and be weightless and be free.
- Should I shave my legs beforehand? – No…it’s not pleasant. Trust me. I did the morning of.
- What If I don’t hear the song at the end? – No problem…the water filter will turn on and you will not miss it.
- Is it clean? – VERY! There is a ton of salt and the water filter can even remove skin particles.
- Can I float with someone? – Yes, they have one room with a tank that can fit two people.
- Is it dark? – Not unless you want it to be. You can float in pink or blue light, you can leave the float chamber door open, or you can choose to float in darkness.
Overall we had a great time at Central Coast Floats. You can schedule an appointment over the phone or online and it’s fast and easy. Gift cards, merch, and products are also available. Monthly memberships provide discounted rates, CLICK HERE for pricing details. The staff is passionate about what they do and they want to share this service with the community. They also make sure they give back! Central Coast Floats is a participant in the Weightless Warriors program which provides free floats to support veterans with PTSD.
If you’re looking for things to do or ways to relax in San Luis Obispo, make sure you pay them a visit!
Address: 4472 Broad St #110, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Phone: (805) 439-3229
Fri 8:00am- 9:30pm
Sat 8:00am- 9:30pm
Sun 8:00am- 9:30pm
Have a tip or want to share your experience? COMMENT BELOW!