- This event has passed.
Ovines in the Vines 101 — Field Day & Lamb Roast
December 5 @ 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
Presented by Grazing School of the West, “Ovines in the Vines” is an intensive field day for vineyard managers to introduce the use of grazing sheep as an ecological approach to managing vegetation in the season between harvest and budbreak, as well as an introduction for grazing beyond budbreak.
Learn the benefits, economics, and technical details from industry leaders. We will cover the why, how, challenges/opportunities, ecological benefits, cost considerations, best practices, and general how-to for developing a grazing program or hiring a contracted grazer.
We will observe an active grazing project in the vineyards program at Tablas Creek Vineyard in Paso Robles, CA and offer on the ground insights about equipment modification and specific infrastructure (fixed and mobile) systems for fencing, water, transport, herd management, and perennial crop protection.
Join us after the field day for a lamb roast dinner to further engage with other vineyard managers and representatives, grazing operators, and land stewardship industry members.
This field day is a beginner-level all-day intensive workshop geared towards prospective vineyard/orchard managers interested in learning about integrating livestock into their management systems.
CORE LEARNING AREAS / CURRICULUM TOPICS
- Integrating Livestock into Crop Systems 101, including considerations specific to vines & trees, production calendars, grazing planning, etc.
- Ecological Benefits
- Research, Case-Studies of projects of different scales & regions
- Grazing logistics: electric fences, water, predators, regulations/food safety laws
- Equipment + Systems Hacks, Technology
- Hiring grazer vs developing an in-house program: capacity requirements and skills
CONTENT / FORMAT
Full-day in two parts with a break for lunch in between. The first part of the day geared towards a 101 intensive information download for Vineyard managers: benefits (ecological, financial), research, panel + Q&A with guest educators, case-studies of different scales, challenges and outlook. Walk and Talk with Nate, the sheep in the vineyard manager to show and tell what the operation looks like on the ground with technical details, equipment, and design.
- Jaime & Robert Irwin: Kaos Sheep Outfit
- Nathan Stuart: Tablas Creek Vineyard
- Kelly Mulville: Paicines Ranch
- Brittany Cole Bush: Grazing School of the West